Asian-Style Round Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the celery, onion, soy sauce, sugar, salt, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add the green peppers, tomato sauce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms; cover and cook on low 1 hour longer.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 980 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.