Asian-Style Round Steak Recipe
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the celery, onion, soy sauce, sugar, salt, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add the green peppers, tomato sauce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms; cover and cook on low 1 hour longer.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 980 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Asian-Style Round Steak
"Very good recipe! Great taste. I didn't make this in the slow cooker but on top of the stove and it still came out great. Would definitely make again."
"Excellent recipe! Steak is so tender and full of flavor. I could not find canned bean sprouts in my store, so used canned mixed asian vegetables (with sprouts). Used an orange bell pepper. Will definitely make again."
"My entire family enjoyed this recipe. I added a little Sriracha Sauce to it and it spiced it up a tad for us."
"I had this at a friends house and she followed the recipe to exactly the way they did....WAY TO MUCH GREEN PEPPER..I have made it twice now and only use 1/2 of a green bell pepper and it makes so much of a difference."
"My family did not care for this recipe."
"Even though this is a slow cooker recipe, we found the multiple steps a bit time-consuming. Plus, it definitely needs more crunch to be great stir fry."
"I love this recipe! I like extra vegetables, so I add an extra can of bean sprouts and mushrooms (sometimes oriental vegetable can)."
"I'm thinking about adding carrots"
"This looks great! Can't wait to make it next week.!"
"loved this one. Next time i will add 12oz. fresh mushrooms."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.