Asian Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
"When a friend and I decided to grow zucchini, we had no idea what the results would be," details Rose LaCore of Elizabeth, Minnesota. "We made everything we could think of to use up our crop. This recipe, with its refreshing flavor, found favor with our families."
- 4 medium zucchini (about 8 inches)
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup canned bean sprouts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out and discard pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Place zucchini cut side down in a baking dish. Fill dish with hot water to a depth of 1/4 in. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; set aside. Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the bean sprouts, cabbage, mushrooms, cooked rice, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Spoon into zucchini shells; sprinkle with cheese and almonds. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Zucchini in Country Woman July/August 2002, p40
Reviews for Asian Stuffed Zucchini(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2011
Have made this a couple of times, is really good. Added real bacon bits the last time, which made it even better. Thanks, Rose!
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >