Asian Steak Skewers Recipe
- 1 pound beef sirloin tip roast
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1. Cut beef widthwise into 16 slices, 1/4 in. thick. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the soy sauce, sugar and ginger; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring water and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the beans and red pepper; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade from beef. Arrange three beans, one carrot strip and one pepper strip down the center of each beef slice; roll up. For each kabob use metal or soaked wooden skewers and thread two bundles on two parallel skewers.
- 4. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until beef reaches desired doneness.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard and horseradish. Serve with kabobs. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (4 bundles with 2 tablespoons sauce) equals 304 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.