The peanut dipping sauce is slightly spicy but really complements these traditional vegetable-filled spring rolls. They take some time to prepare but are well worth it!
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces uncooked thin rice noodles
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 8 spring roll wrappers or rice papers (8 inches)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- PEANUT SAUCE:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup hot water
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, hoisin sauce and sugar; set aside. In a large saucepan, bring 2 qts. water and salt to a boil. Add noodles; cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Transfer to a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons reserved lime juice mixture; set aside. In another bowl, combine the carrot, cucumber, jalapeno and peanuts. Toss with the remaining lime juice mixture; set aside.
- Soak spring roll wrappers in cool water for 5 minutes. Carefully separate and place on a flat surface. Top each with several cilantro leaves. Place 1/4 cup carrot mixture and 1/4 cup noodles down the center of each wrapper to within 1-1/2 in. of ends.
- Fold both ends over filling; fold one long side over the filling, then carefully roll up tightly. Place seam side down on serving plate. Cover with damp paper towels until serving.
- In a small saucepan, cook garlic and pepper flakes in oil for 2 minutes. Add the remaining sauce ingredients; cook and stir until combined and thickened. Serve with spring rolls. Yield: 8 spring rolls (1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Asian Spring Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p180
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Asian Spring Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review