Asian Salmon Medallions Recipe
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 salmon steaks (1 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the onion, chives, parsley and garlic; set aside. Soak kitchen string in water.
- 2. Using tweezers or small pliers, remove pin bones from salmon by pulling the bones out at an angle. To debone salmon for rolling, start at one end of the stomach flap and cut between the bones and all the way toward the backbone.
- 3. Cut around the backbone and the small bone above it, cutting all the way up to, but not through, the skin holding the two sides together. Repeat on the other side so the center bones are completely separated from the salmon steak.
- 4. On each steak, trim off about 2 in. of skin from the end of the left stomach flap. Open steaks flat. Spoon onion mixture over salmon. Fold left side over filling. Carefully roll up salmon to form a circle. Wrap soaked kitchen string around the salmon rolls and tie.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the syrup, vinegar, hoisin sauce and sesame oil. Set aside 1 tablespoon sauce for serving. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- 6. Grill salmon, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4 minutes on each side; basting frequently with reserved marinade. Turn salmon and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove and discard string. Drizzle salmon with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 380 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Asian Salmon Medallions
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.