Asian Salmon Medallions Recipe
For a special occasion or fancy weeknight supper, try these pretty salmon rounds from our Test Kitchen. Stuffed with a refreshing onion mixture and brushed with a sesame-flavored sauce, the grilled medallions have a delightful sweet and savory taste.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 salmon steaks (1 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, combine the onion, chives, parsley and garlic; set aside. Soak kitchen string in water.
- Using tweezers or small pliers, remove pin bones from salmon by pulling the bones out at an angle. To debone salmon for rolling, start at one end of the stomach flap and cut between the bones and all the way toward the backbone.
- Cut around the backbone and the small bone above it, cutting all the way up to, but not through, the skin holding the two sides together. Repeat on the other side so the center bones are completely separated from the salmon steak.
- On each steak, trim off about 2 in. of skin from the end of the left stomach flap. Open steaks flat. Spoon onion mixture over salmon. Fold left side over filling. Carefully roll up salmon to form a circle. Wrap soaked kitchen string around the salmon rolls and tie.
- In a small bowl, combine the syrup, vinegar, hoisin sauce and sesame oil. Set aside 1 tablespoon sauce for serving. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill salmon, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4 minutes on each side; basting frequently with reserved marinade. Turn salmon and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove and discard string. Drizzle salmon with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Asian Salmon Medallions in Light & Tasty April/May 2006, p35
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Asian Salmon Medallions(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2009
this would be great with a Jasmine rice, I make mine with half water half coconut milk. It is so good...Suzie Mansfield, ohio
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fish Recipes >
- Grilled Fish >
- Grilled Salmon >
- Grilled Salmon Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >