I love Asian food, so this pot roast satisfies my cravings. The original recipe called for spinach, but I use sugar snap peas and carrots instead. Sometimes I serve the roast, vegetables and pineapple over rice or egg noodles. -Donna Staley Randleman, North Carolina
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Add onion. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add celery and carrots. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the peas, mushrooms and reserved pineapple. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the vegetables and meat are tender.
- Remove the roast, vegetables and pineapple; keep warm. Skim fat from pan drippings. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast across the grain. Serve the meat, vegetables and pineapple with gravy. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asian Pot Roast in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p32
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Asian Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 22, 2010
"I added spinach instead of the peas. It turned out very well & my family liked it with rice! It was a great change to a pot roast!!!"