Asian Orange Beef Recipe
- 3 large navel oranges
- 1 bunch green onions
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. Finely grate the peel from two oranges; set aside. Cut thin strips of orange peel from the remaining orange for garnish; set aside. Squeeze juice from all oranges. Cut onions to separate the white and green parts. Thinly slice white parts; cut green parts into 1-in. lengths for garnish.
- 2. For sauce, in a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in orange juice until smooth. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, grated orange peel and white parts of onions; set aside.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry beef in oil until no longer pink. Stir the sauce and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Garnish with orange peel strips and remaining onions. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 351 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Asian Orange Beef
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.