Asian Chicken with Gingered Vegetables Recipe
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1. Combine the first five ingredients; rub over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup vegetables equals 249 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.