- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice.
Freeze option: Cool chicken. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Asian Chicken Thighs
"I made this recipe for my family and they truly enjoyed it. I doubled sauce recipe and paired the chicken with an Asian medley of veggies and some rice. I also did not include the 5 spice powder, but it still turned out great. My son has already requested that I make this again next week."
"This recipe is fantastic and easy to make. I served Asian Peanut coleslaw with it."
"This is a great recipe! Bone in chicken thighs are always on sale and this is a great way to use them. My family loves this dish . I serve these with Mushroom Fried Rice recipe from the TOH site."
"This recipe was very good. We are trying to eat low-carb, therefore, I didn't make the rice. I did double the sauce, which wasn't really necessary without the rice, but we enjoyed it. I also omitted the Chinese five-spice powder, as I didn't have any on hand."
"Very tasty chicken. Will definitely make again and maybe next time I will remember to put the green onions on top. Didn't miss them but will definitely try to remember to add them next time. Very easy to put together."
"Very good easy recipe! I used chicken breasts and did not add the five spice powder and it was still very good! I plan on making these again. I loved the sweet flavor!"
"I made exactly according to recipe, except doubled sauce. As he was eating, hubby kept telling me how good it was. Perfect amount of red pepper flakes. I would maybe not double the five spice powder. Will definitely make again. Served over brown rice."
"Very good, only thing I would do different is add a tad more OJ for more orange flavor and instead of scallions on top I added toasted sesame seeds"
"I followed the recipe exactly and the chicken was delicious! This was an easy meal to prepare and I will make it again and again. Thanks for sharing this recipe."
"I've made this many times over the past few years and it's a hit. My family loves this!"