- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Asian Chicken Thighs
Sort By :
"Excellent!! Followed the recipe exactly and next time I will use BS thighs and double the sauce."
"So Good! I had to use chicken legs and wings because it is what I had, and I did not skin them. But other then that I fallowed the recipe as is except in the end, I didnt need the cornstarch, it had cooked down and thickened so well on its own that no more thickening was needed. Someone posted about keeping this handy in the fridge, I agree 100%. Never again will I purchase teriyaki sauce. I can see this sauce replacing several I keep on hand, and I can see using it in oh so many various ways, to many to mention. Thank you Mr. Dave Farrington, of Midwest City, Oklahoma for this recipe. Best recipe of this nature I have found to date."
"This was absolutely a hit!! The orange juice and the red pepper flakes made it so! I also added some fresh orange zest to the pot, and I'm looking forward to sharing this with other friends and family! Don't like the kick? just use less!"
"This recipe rivals any Chinese restaurant. Made with boneless chicken thighs and served on a bed of rice and oriental steamed veggies. Amazing. Definitely double the sauce, it is that good. No need to thicken."
"The whole family enjoyed this simple dish. I used boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into cubes and served it over quinoa with broccoli florets as a side."