Asian Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice.
Freeze option: Cool chicken. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
1 chicken thigh (calculated without rice) equals 292 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 396 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.