- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup chili garlic sauce
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a Dutch oven, cook chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute the carrots, celery and onion until tender. Stir in the broth, teriyaki sauce, garlic sauce and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the wonton strips, mushrooms, celery leaves, basil and cilantro. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until wonton strips and mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
"This soup was fabulous and a HUGE hit with my whole family. Two of us are lightweights when it comes to heat, so I only used 1T. of the chili garlic sauce which was perfect for us. The others added a spoonful to their bowls to kick up the heat. I also only used 8 oz. of wonton wrappers. After reading other reviews, I added them a little at a time, stirring as I dropped them in. No problems with sticking and I didn't find them to be soggy at all - just like cooked pasta. This one definitely makes it into our "keeper file"."
"Great flavor and easy enough to make. The wonton wrappers do get soggy. For an easy fix either buy fried wonton strips or fry the wrappers and make your own. I served this soup and kept the wontons on the side and let everyone add their own. This way the wonton strips kept their integrity and added the extra crunch texture everyone seemed to love. The author is absolutely right - DO NOT skip the celery leaves!"
"We loved this soup--it is tasty and has a nice kick to it. It will be a regular item on the menu at our house!"
"The wonton wrappers get very soggy, I substituted tofu for the wrappers. Great Flavor!"
"Wonton wrappers tend to get soggy, I substituted tofu for the wrappers. Great Flavor!"