Asian Cherry Shrimp
Combing the classic flavors of sweet and sour, you'll love this simple, quick recipe, from Jane Baker of Lansing, Michigan. The tart, juicy cherries are an excellent addition to this traditional meal
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large saucepan, combine pie filling, vinegar, brown sugar and
- ginger. Cook over medium heat until filling is hot and bubbly. Add
- the green pepper, water chestnuts and shrimp. Cook over medium heat
- 4-5 minutes longer or until shrimp are heated through (do not over
- cook). Serve with rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup rice equals 488 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.