Asian Cabbage Slaw
“Never one to stick to tradition, I experimented with a recipe I had for Asian slaw by adding fruit and nuts,” writes Lillian Kayte of Gainesville, Florida. “I hope you like it as much as I do!”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 cups Chinese or napa cabbage
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup julienned peeled jicama
- 1/4 cup chopped watercress
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, orange, jicama and watercress.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, sugar, ginger, soy sauce
- and pepper. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle
- with walnuts. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 132 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 48 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.