- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced green pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground mustard and Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place bulgur in a small bowl. Stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, celery, carrot, green pepper, cranberries and bulgur. In a small bowl, whisk the parsley, vinegar, olive oil, onion, water, sesame oil, honey, garlic and seasonings. Pour over rice mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Arrange greens on salad plates. Top with rice mixture; sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Asian Bulgur Rice Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p37
Reviews for Asian Bulgur Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review