Asian Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 10 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, consomme, soy sauce and sugar until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in batches in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, stir-fry onion and celery for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and green onions; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Return beef to the pan. Add spinach. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 830 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.