Asian Barbecued Short Ribs Recipe
Here in beef country, we find all sorts of different ways to serve beef. A former boss of mine, who owned a Midwestern meat plant, gave me this recipe. It was an immediate hit with my family! The soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, ginger and other seasonings make a great barbecue sauce for the ribs.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil on all sides in batches. Remove ribs; discard pan drippings. In the same pan, saute onion for 2 minutes or until tender. Return ribs to the pan.
- 2. Combine the ketchup, 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, mustard, ginger, salt, pepper and bay leaf; pour over ribs.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove ribs and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan drippings. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with ribs. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC