Asiago Bagels Recipe
These thick and chewy bagels feature a mild cheese flavor that makes them ideal for a brunch and a pleasant alternative to the usual sweet breads seen this time of year. —Tami Kuehl, Loup City, Nebraska
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In bread machine pan, place the water, eggs, oil, honey, 1/2 cup cheese, milk powder, salt, basil, flours and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to form a 1-1/2-in. hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes; flatten bagels slightly.
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine egg white and water; brush over bagels. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Asiago Bagels in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p152
Reviews for Asiago Bagels(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Machine Recipes >
- Bread Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >