Artie The Airplane
Need a centerpiece at your next summer get-together? Try this wonderful watermelon! It is so easy and will amaze your guests.Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large symmetrical watermelon (12 to 14 pounds)
- Bamboo skewers and one round wooden toothpick
- 1 red grape
- 1 medium unpeeled kiwi
- If necessary, cut a thin slice from bottom of watermelon so it sits
- level. Using a sharp paring knife, trace outlines of tail pieces,
- propeller and wings on the melon as shown in Fig. 1. Referring to
- Fig. 2, cut and carefully remove sections A, B and C. Remove fruit
- from sections, leaving 1/8 in. of fruit on the rind; set fruit
- aside. Set sections B and C aside for back wings. From section A,
- cut propeller, two side wings and two tail pieces; set aside.
- Carefully remove fruit from the melon to form a shell. Cut all fruit
- into cubes or balls. Set aside. Trim wings and tail pieces to fit
- smoothly against the melon. Attach wings and tail with skewers (fig.
- 3); trim skewers if necessary. Attach propeller with a toothpick;
- insert grape on end of toothpick. Place one halved kiwifruit next to
- airplane on either side for wheels as shown in photo. Fill with
- reserved watermelon cubes, a salad or dessert. Yield: 1 watermelon