Artichokes Au Gratin Recipe
This makes a great side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any dinner. My niece served this at a family gathering and was kind enough to share the recipe.
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a small skillet, saute artichokes and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted.
- 3. Pour over artichokes; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Combine crumbs and paprika; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 190 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 513 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC