Artichokes and Green Beans Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place beans in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, toast bread crumbs over medium heat in 1 tablespoon oil; set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add the artichokes, salt, pepper and reserved beans. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Before serving, sprinkle with cheese and toasted bread crumbs. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup equals 158 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Artichokes and Green Beans
"I'm always looking for ways to add interest to green bean recipes. This is one the whole family enjoys. The olive oil, artichokes, and parmesan cheese give a very flavorful Mediterranean accent to the dish. It has several steps to it, but is SO worth the effort!"