Artichokes and Green Beans
This easy and elegant treatment for vegetables complements a variety of main courses. "Whenever I make it, someone always asks for a recipe," Carole Boys writes from Wheaton, Illinois.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place beans in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of
- water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, toast bread crumbs over medium heat in 1
- tablespoon oil; set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and
- garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add the artichokes, salt,
- pepper and reserved beans. Cook and stir over low heat until heated
- through. Before serving, sprinkle with cheese and toasted bread
- crumbs. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 158 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 701 mg sodium,