Artichoke Tuna Melt Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (5 ounces each) albacore white tuna in water
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise (save one half for another use). Brush bread with oil. Place cut side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Rub cut sides of garlic clove over bread; discard garlic.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder and pepper. Stir in tuna and artichokes.
- 3. Arrange spinach over bread; top with tuna mixture, tomatoes and cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into six slices. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 533 calories, 31 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,070 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.