Artichoke Orzo Pilaf
Canned artichoke hearts bring a tangy taste to tangy orzo pasta in this side dish. "This saute is quick and easy...and tasty, too," writes Stacy Crochet of Watertown, Connecticut.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek and orzo in oil for 3 minutes
- or until leek is tender. Add the broth, water and Italian seasoning;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or
- until liquid is absorbed. Stir in artichoke hearts and Parmesan
- cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 181 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 382 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.