This open-faced egg and artichoke melts are a favorite at Jill Gross' home in Roselle, Illinois. "The Dijon mustard adds a nice zip, making them more exciting than plain grilled cheese," she says. "When my husband can't make it home for dinner, I treat myself to this sandwich instead of making a whole meal."
3-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
- 3 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, sliced
- In a bowl, combine the artichokes, cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and
- thyme; set aside. Place bread on a baking sheet; broil 4 in. from
- the heat until toasted. Turn over. Place egg slices on untoasted
- side of bread; spread with artichoke mixture. Broil for 3-5 minutes
- or until cheese is melted and top is golden brown. Yield: 3-6