- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or
- until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- Invert artichokes to drain for 10 minutes. With a spoon, carefully
- remove the fuzzy centers and discard. Cut artichoke hearts into
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until
- slightly thickened.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. Combine the bread crumbs,
- cheese, parsley and pepper in another shallow bowl. Dip artichoke
- pieces in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs. In a large skillet,
- cook artichokes in oil for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden
- brown. Serve immediately with sauce. Yield: 2 dozen (2 cups sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece with 4 teaspoons sauce equals 69 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.