Artichoke Beef Stew Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches.
- 2. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Gradually add consomme to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in the onions, mushrooms, wine, garlic and dill. Pour over beef.
- 3. Cover and cook for low for 7-8 hours or until tender. Stir in the artichokes; cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 355 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.