Artichoke Beef Stew Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches.
- 2. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Gradually add consomme to the pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in the onions, mushrooms, wine, garlic and dill. Pour over beef.
- 3. Cover and cook for low for 7-8 hours or until tender. Stir in the artichokes; cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 355 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Artichoke Beef Stew
"I will absolutely make it again. Different and delicious, and won rave reviews from my family. Thank you for sharing this fine recipe."
"I found this recipe on Taste of Home years ago. I have been makeing it ever since. My family and I loved it. Thanks for sharing it."
"Good flavor, loved the artichokes."
"Never thought about artichokes in a stew. It was wonderful. easy and fast to put together the night before. Then refrig. and take it out in the morning for a switch on and go."
"Love it! easy and great flavors!"
"Delicious! I used a whole chuck roast which I didn't flour and brown. Just placed it with the liquids and seasonings in a foil covered pan and baked for 5 hours in a 275 degree oven. Took out some of the juices and thickened with corn starch."
"easy and tasted great.."
"I have made this recipe several times for the whole family; we all love it! Very tasty."
"Outstanding. I would serve this to company. Because it is so easy it affords more time with family and guests. Taste is superb. I added additional non-marinated artichokes. Even in our 70s we like to try new things, and this is a definite keeper. Thank you for sharing it."
"a different than the average beef stew. the combination of all the different tastes definitley make this one of my favorite current recipies."
"My husband loves artichokes. I try to eat them since they are good for you. This is a wonderful meal and I used twice the amount of artichokes half plain and half marinted. I'm in month 3 of all slow cooking dinners so I was glad to find this different stew recipe."
"the only thing I might add is extra artichokes"
"My family really enjoyed this lovely recipe. I like it because it is simple yet has the distinctive flavors of a dish that would normally take more time and effort, I think due to the wine, consomme and artichokes. I used I slightly higher quality meat, and it was incredibly tender."