Artichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. Drain artichokes, reserving marinade; set artichokes aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in reserved marinade for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the artichokes, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, sugar and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup sauce (prepared without salt; calculated without pasta) equals 124 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Artichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.