"I received this recipe from my college roommate, and it quickly became one of my favorites,” notes Janet Bischof of Sumter, South Carolina. “Basil gives the meatless pasta sauce just the right taste.”
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- Drain artichokes, reserving marinade; set artichokes aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in reserved marinade for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the artichokes, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, basil, sugar and salt if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Artichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p42
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Artichoke-Basil Pasta Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review