This rich, creamy breakfast classic stars fresh artichokes. It’s bound to make everyone at your table feel like a special guest. —Lori Wiese, Humboldt, Minnesota
- 1 envelope hollandaise sauce mix
- 4 medium artichokes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Prepare sauce mix according to package directions. Set aside and keep warm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut stems from artichokes. Remove and discard outer leaves, leaving each artichoke bottom exposed. Cut off tops 1/2-in. above artichoke bottoms and discard. With a grapefruit spoon, carefully remove the fuzzy centers and discard. Place artichoke bottoms in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer. Holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the spinach, lemon juice, salt and pepper; heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- With a slotted spoon, lift each egg out of the water. On each artichoke bottom, place 1/3 cup spinach mixture, a poached egg and 1/3 cup sauce. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Artichoke & Spinach Eggs Benedict in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p25
Reviews for Artichoke & Spinach Eggs Benedict
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review