Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas) Recipe
Feed a crowd with this authentic Puerto Rican rice dish, which was handed down to me from my mom. It's a staple with the "familia" at all our gatherings.
- 1/2 cup Sofrito
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 7 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pigeon peas, drained
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) Vienna sausage, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 envelope Goya ham-flavored concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook Sofrito in oil over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice and sazon; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly toasted. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup: 220 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC