Aromatic Fennel Chicken Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken on all sides in reserved drippings; remove and keep warm. Add fennel and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Stir in the wine, lemon juice and peel, bay leaves, thyme and cayenne. Return chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- 4. Cook the fennel mixture, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in capers and reserved bacon. Discard bay leaves. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
about 4 ounces cooked chicken with 1/2 cup fennel mixture equals 290 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Aromatic Fennel Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.