Aromatic Fennel Chicken Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken on all sides in reserved drippings; remove and keep warm. Add fennel and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the wine, lemon juice and peel, bay leaves, thyme and cayenne. Return chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Cook the fennel mixture, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in capers and reserved bacon. Discard bay leaves. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Aromatic Fennel Chicken(2)
Sort By :
Made a few changes..used precooked bacon pieces instead of bacon..and cut the recipe in half. great flavor..husband loves fennel but not cooked...I loved it.
Don't think I would use the capers again..not necessary for flavor.
I made this for my family and even my picky eaters really liked it. Loved it would be a stretch. I was wonderful! When my mom broke her ankle I went to take care of her and with all the wonderful health benefits of fennel I made it for them and they LOVED it. This is a must try!
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >