Armenian Pilaf Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked broken vermicelli (1-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, bulgur, rice and vermicelli in butter for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Add the broth, water and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 183 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.