Armenian Okra Recipe
We always use fresh okra in from our garden for this recipe when I was a kid, but I've found that frozen, thawed okra works fine, too. To get the full effect, you must spoon this over the rice pilaf so it soaks up the sauce. —Jean Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the broth, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Stir in the okra, apricots and lemon juice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until okra is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC