We always use fresh okra in from our garden for this recipe when I was a kid, but I've found that frozen, thawed okra works fine, too. To get the full effect, you must spoon this over the rice pilaf so it soaks up the sauce. —Jean Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the broth, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the okra, apricots and lemon juice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until okra is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Armenian Okra in Taste of Home Magazine - Best Loved Recipes 2012
Reviews for Armenian Okra
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review