Armadillo Eggs Recipe
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) pickled jalapeno peppers
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 envelopes pork-flavored seasoned coating mix
- 1. Cut each jalapeno in half lengthwise; remove seeds and stems. Stuff each pepper half with about 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese. In a bowl, combine the uncooked sausage, biscuit mix and remaining cheese; mix well. Shape about 2 tablespoonfuls around each pepper.
- 2. Dip into eggs, then roll in coating mix. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 appetizer equals 126 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 543 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Armadillo Eggs
"These took a lot longer to make than 40 minutes. That said, these are really good - spicy, but not so hot that you were reaching for the milk. I had a mix of medium and small fresh jalapenos, and think next time I will use only small peppers - I ran out of filling at 24 peppers. Took these into work where they were well received. Didn't finish the first day, but everyone insisted on my leaving the remainder so they could heat up the next morning - even good reheated!"
"HUGE HIT!!! I have made these with reduced fat biscuit mix, fat free cheese and turkey sausage. Can't even tell they are lower in fat. One suggestion, I had better luck stuffing them with chunks of cheese instead of the shredded cheese. I also made a double batch and froze half. Still super yummy!"
"These are great!! Instead of pork sausage we used a brisket that we had smoked the day before.. we also panko flakes.. Fantastic flavor."
"These are really great. I used fresh jalapeno peppers and made my own coating. Also I made them ahead of time all but the egg and coating and put them in the freezer, then when I had company I just took them out dipped in the egg and coating mixture and impressed everyone!!!"
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.