Apricot Walnut Bars Recipe
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, cook apricots in water over medium heat for 10 minutes or until softened. Drain, cool and chop; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup flour until well blended.
- Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until blended. Beat in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, and remaining flour; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in apricots and nuts. Pour over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until set. Cool on wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar; cut into bars. Yield: 16 bars.
Reviews for Apricot Walnut Bars(3)
Sort By :
We thought the "shortbread" crust was very good. I skipped softening the dried apricots because mine were quite moist. Delicious.
I used fresh apricots and they turned out fine but very sweet. The crust seemed dry and lacked flavor though.
Couldn't wait for these to cool in the pan...even better when they completely cooled. Just be careful when softening apricots,watch the pot...water evaporated before the 10 minutes,even at medium heat and a small pan.