Apricot Upside-Down Cake
"My Aunt Anne, who is a great cook, gave me a taste of this golden cake and I couldn't believe how delicious it was," says Ruth Ann Stelfox of Raymond, Alberta. Apricots give it an elegant twist from traditional pineapple versions.
9 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) apricot halves
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30
- minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Drain apricots, reserving 3
- tablespoons syrup (discard remaining syrup or save for another use);
- set aside.
- Place butter in a 9-in.-square baking dish. Place in oven 3-4 minutes
- or until butter is melted; carefully swirl to coat evenly. Sprinkle
- with brown sugar. Arrange apricot halves in a single layer over
- brown sugar, cut side up.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a large
- bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar,
- beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in
- reserved apricot syrup. Fold in flour mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks
- form. Fold into batter. Spoon over apricots. Bake 35-40 minutes or