Apricot Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) apricot halves
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Drain apricots, reserving 3 tablespoons syrup (discard remaining syrup or save for another use); set aside.
- Place butter in a 9-in.-square baking dish. Place in oven 3-4 minutes or until butter is melted; carefully swirl to coat evenly. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange apricot halves in a single layer over brown sugar, cut side up.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in reserved apricot syrup. Fold in flour mixture.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Spoon over apricots. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Upside-Down Cake in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p61
Reviews for Apricot Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2011
"This cake was very good however, I was able to get 16 servings using the apricot as a guide for portions."