Apricot Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) apricot halves
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Drain apricots, reserving 3 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use); set aside. Place butter in a greased 9-in. square baking pan; place in a 350° oven for 3-4 minutes or until melted. Stir in the brown sugar. Arrange apricot halves, cut side up, in a single layer over sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in reserved apricot juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Carefully spread over apricots. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Upside-Down Cake in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p61
Reviews for Apricot Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2011
This cake was very good however, I was able to get 16 servings using the apricot as a guide for portions.