Apricot Tea Rings Recipe
This coffee cake is a favorite of mine. It's attractive, delicious and cuts like a dream. Sometimes I use convenient canned pie filling when I want a different flavor and I'm pressed for time. -Dot Christiansen Bettendorf, Iowa
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 12 ounces dried apricots, diced
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, salt and nutmeg. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine apricots and water. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the water is absorbed and apricots are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the brown sugar, juice and nuts. Cool.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread half of filling over rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Repeat for second ring. With scissors, cut each from outside edge two-thirds toward center of ring at 1 in. intervals. Separate strips slightly: twist so filling shows, slightly overlapping with previous piece. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 6. In a small bowl, combine confectioner's sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm tea rings. Yield: 2 rings (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 205 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC