Apricot Swan Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- About 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- 2. Cut a hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #10 pastry tip. On a greased baking sheet, pipe twelve 3-in. long S shapes for the swan necks, making a small dollop at the end for head. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- 3. For each swan body, drop remaining batter by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. With a small icing knife or spatula, shape batter into 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. teardrops. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 4. For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Refrigerate until cool.
- 5. Just before serving, spoon about 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup onto serving plates. Cut off top third of swan bodies; set tops aside. Remove any soft dough inside. Spoon 1 tablespoon apricot preserves into bottom of puffs; add filling. Set necks in filling. Cut reserved tops in half lengthwise to form wings; set wings in filling. Place swans on prepared plates. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 304 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Apricot Swan Cream Puffs
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.