- pastry tip. On a greased baking sheet, pipe twelve 3-in. long S
- shapes for the swan necks, making a small dollop at the end for
- head. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- For each swan body, drop remaining batter by heaping teaspoonfuls 2
- in. apart onto greased baking sheets. With a small icing knife or
- spatula, shape batter into 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. teardrops. Bake at
- 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire
- For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan;
- gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium
- heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from
- the heat. Gradually stir a small amount of hot filling into egg
- yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in
- butter and extracts. Refrigerate until cool.
- Just before serving, spoon about 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup onto
- serving plates. Cut off top third of swan bodies; set tops aside.
- Remove any soft dough inside. Spoon 1 tablespoon apricot preserves
- into bottom of puffs; add filling. Set necks in filling. Cut
- reserved tops in half lengthwise to form wings; set wings in
- filling. Place swans on prepared plates. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 304 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 229 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.