Apricot Squash Soup
"This unusual golden soup combines two of our favorite foods--nutritious butternut squash and apricots," notes Jean Hennessey Klein of New Berlin, Wisconsin. "It's thick, rich and simple to make to dress up any meal."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (15 ounces) apricot halves in extra light syrup, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add squash; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes. Add apricots, broth and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until squash is
- tender. Cool slightly.
- Process in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to the pan and heat through. Garnish with green onion. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 117 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.