I remember my mom making these fruity bars for PTA meetings when I was in elementary school more than 40 years ago. Now I serve these bars for a variety of functions.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, orange peel, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside one-third for the topping.
- Press remaining dough into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine preserves, lemon juice and peel; spread evenly over crust.
- Crumble reserved dough over filling. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Apricot Squares in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p83
Reviews for Apricot Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review