Apricot Shortbread Squares Recipe
These fruity bars taste and look so good, people will have a hard time believing how quick they can be prepared. They're bound to become a favorite with your family.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) apricot preserves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well (mixture will be crumbly). Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Carefully spread with apricot preserves.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully spread over preserves (egg white layer will be thin). Sprinkle with walnuts.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and edges are bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 238 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC