Apricot Scones Recipe
- DEVONSHIRE CREAM:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- Jam of your choice
- 1. For Devonshire cream, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough cream to achieve a spreading consistency. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- 2. For scones, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the apricots, pecans and orange peel. With a fork, rapidly stir in 1 cup whipping cream just until moistened.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Divide in half; shape each into a ball. Flatten each ball into a 6-in. circle; cut each circle into eight wedges. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining whipping cream.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm with Devonshire cream and jam. Yield: 16 scones (1 cup cream).
1 each: 230 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Apricot Scones
"I love these! did find that they needed a bit more liquid to come together, as my heavy whipping cream was VERY thick. The cream mixture is a fun substitute for clotted cream; the real thing is so expensive and hard to get in my area. I like these with apricot jam."