Apricot Rice Custard Recipe
Creamy rice custard drizzled with apricot sauce makes a comforting dessert or a refreshingly different breakfast. As a young mother, housewife and substitute teacher, I haven't been cooking all that long, but it's easy to impress people with this recipe since it's simple and delicious. -Elizabeth Montgomery, Allston, MA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) apricot halves
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions. Stir in milk, sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Stir 1/2 cup into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° or coats the back of a metal spoon (do not boil).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts and cinnamon.
- 3. For sauce, drain apricot syrup into a small saucepan. Chop apricots; add to syrup. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve sauce and custard warm or chilled. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 232 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC