- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small saucepan, combine apricots, water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until pureed. Stir in pecans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Divide dough into two portions. On a baking sheet, roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 15x9-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper. Spread half of the apricot mixture over one portion. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Pipe onto cookies. Let stand until set.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap logs in plastic wrap and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Place wrapped logs in resealable plastic freezer bags and freeze. To use, unwrap frozen logs and cut into slices. Bake as directed. Yield: 8 dozen.
Originally published as Apricot Pinwheels in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p146
Reviews for Apricot Pinwheels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review