Apricot Pineapple Jam
Dried apricots, crushed pineapple and grapefruit juice create a memorable jam. "The juice is what makes the jam taste so good," says Carol Radil of New Britain, Connecticut.
40 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min. + standing
- 12 ounces dried apricots
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- 3 cups sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring apricots and water to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer 15 minutes or until apricots are very tender. Mash.
- Add pineapple, grapefruit juice and sugar. Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour
- or until thick and translucent, stirring frequently.
- Rinse five 1-cup plastic containers and lids with boiling water. Dry
- thoroughly. Pour into jam into containers; cool to room temperature,
- about 1 hour. Cover and let stand overnight or until set, but no
- longer than 24 hours.
- Jam is now ready to use. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1
- year. Thaw frozen jam in refrigerator before serving. Yield: 5
Editor's Note: This recipe does not use pectin.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 89 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.