Apricot Pecan Tart Recipe
Apricot and chocolate are pleasing partners in this elegant dessert created in our Test Kitchen.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min. + standing YIELD:12-14 servings
- 12 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon matzo meal
- 4 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Dried apricots
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the apricots, water, sugar, gingerroot, lemon juice and peel; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until apricots are tender.
- 2. Uncover; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until thickened and liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a food processor; cover and pulse five times or until mixture is smooth and thickened. Pour into a small bowl; cool.
- 3. Trace the removable bottom of an 11-in. tart pan on waxed paper; set aside. Grease tart pan; dust with matzo meal and set aside.
- 4. In a food processor, combine the pecans, sugar, ginger and salt; cover and process until pecans are finely ground. Add eggs; cover and process until mixture forms a moist ball. Place half of the dough in a bowl; cover and refrigerate. Press remaining dough over the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until crust is puffed and lightly browned. Press bottom of crust lightly to flatten if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- 6. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Spread over crust. Chill for 10 minutes or until set. Spread apricot filling over chocolate. Press remaining dough over waxed paper circle.
- 7. Invert dough over filling; carefully peel off waxed paper and discard. Press edges of dough to edge of tart pan to seal.
- 8. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and dry to the touch. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover with foil and let stand overnight.
- 9. For garnish, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle 2 tablespoons over tart. Dip pecans halfway in remaining chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- 10. Garnish tart with dipped pecans and dried apricots. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 slice (calculated without dried apricots) equals 449 calories, 27 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC